Sunday 4 September 2011

Baking Bread

As I am still laid up with a lovely kidney infection my usual shopping habit has had to take a back seat. I decided as I find it difficult to leave the apartment I would attempt to bake bread.

I got the James Martin bread mix from Asda for just 79p, I went for the roasted red onion and balsamic vinegar tear and share variety.


As my first foray into bread making didn't go so well this appealed as a second attempt as all I needed to do was add water and oil and knead.

When you add the oil and water it is very sloppy, or as the packet says 'sticky' which makes it very difficult to knead. I added a bit of flour as I thought I may have added too much water and carried on. It is very sticky but I muddled through regardless and my kitchen resembled a bit of a war zone afterwards.

I left it to prove for 45 minutes, kneaded for another 2 then split into 6 pieces on a baking tray.



They then needed proving for another 15 minutes before going in the oven for 15 minutes.

Et Voila...



Freshly baked bread for lunch was perfect and these taste lovely as a twist on normal bread rolls, or buns, or batches or baps... or whatever you call them!

I think I may take up baking bread on a regular basis, I love baking cakes, especially those in the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and think baked goods are the answer to my heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment